Charles Dickens Nicholas Nickleby First Edition Book 1839
Charles Dickens The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby first edition book 1839, is for sale with the portrait illustration of Charles Dickens by Daniel Maclise and 39 illustrations by H.K. Browne ("Phiz"), numerous early issue points. Additionally, there are 40 very rare illustrations by Thomas Onwhyn who went under his name and his pseudonym, Peter Pallet. This Charles Dickens first edition, first state book of Nicholas Nickleby was published by Chapman Hall, London.
This is an incredibly rare Charles Dickens Nicholas Nickleby first edition book because it not only has the Charles Dickens portrait plate by Daniel Maclise, but also has the 39 Nicholas Nickleby plates by Phiz and additionally all 40 scarce additional plates by Thomas Onwhyn who went under his name and also his pseudonym of Peter Palette. There are a total of 80 plates in this Charles Dickens Nicholas Nickleby first edition book.Some of the Issue Points Found in This Charles Dickens Nicholas Nickleby first edition includes:
- Page x line 2 the second “l” in the word “will” is missing;
- Page xii Chapter XXV there is a comma after “London” in the text, but not in the Contents Page;
- Page xiii Chapter xxxv last four letters in the word “family” are not aligned;
- Page xiv there is a comma after the word “others” in the listing, but a semi- colon in the text on page 608
- Page xv in the List of Plates the frontispiece is not listed;
- Page xv in the List of Plates the second entry has no quotation marks for “The Saracen’s Head”, but there are quotation marks in the caption to the plate;
- Page xx reads “The professional gentleman” and in the caption to the plate opposite page 196 reads “The professional gentlemen”;
- Page xv the word “in” is missing in the caption of the plate opposite page 248;
- Page xv the words “coffee-room” is hyphenated in the List of Plates but not in the caption to the plate opposite page 310;
- Page 123 line 17 has the word “visiter” misspelt for the word “sister”, with this error only found in some copies bound from the earlier parts (please see Walter E. Smith Charles Dickens in the Original Cloth page 42);
- Page 160, 6 lines up from the bottom of the page has the word “latter” instead of the word “letter”; and according to Walter E. Smith Charles Dickens in the Original Cloth “this error not always found with the one on p. 123”;
- Page 270 line 15 has the word “Mercie”;
- Page 272, line 2, the word “visiters” misspelt and should read “visitors”;
- And many more issue points denoting that this is a true rare first edition first issue book with the rare additional plates
This Charles Dickens Nicholas Nickleby first edition in book form comes in an antique half calf leather over marbled boards which have a six compartment spine with the title Nicholas Nickleby in gilt.
The boards are worn with knocks to the leather corners and to the top and bottom of the leather spine. But, the boards are complete and sound in construction being in Good condition.
There are 624 numbered pages with green endpapers, lacking the half title page, and with the Charles Dickens frontispiece and 79 plates by Hablot Knight Browne or Phiz and Thomas Onwhyn throughout this book.
The Charles Dickens Nicholas Nickleby pages are in Good to Very Good condition with foxing to the pages and plates, the plate opposite page 68 has become detached with time and is loosely inserted, and there are a number of professional tape repairs throughout the book.
Some Images from Charles Dickens The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby: